Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Godfathers - “I Can't Sleep Tonight” single (plus the other singles from the past few years)


I can still remember my old friend Gordon going on and on about this up and coming band from the UK. He told me that they were starting to get a bunch of buzz in the music press, and even on MTV. “Trust me, though, they are actually good!” he said, knowing that in my mind MTV praise was a damnable thing. This was the 80s, and MTV during the day didn't know crap about good music. 120 Minutes did, though, and that was where this band began to show their face.
By now I am sure that the smart reader has been able to figure out that I am talking about The Godfathers. Hopefully the fact that this review is about their new single, and that their name is up top there, was enough to clue everybody in. I know all of you are a smart group of people.
So here we sit, a lot of years after I first heard these guys. A lot of years after I first fell in love with them. A lot of years after Birth, School, Work, Death first blew me away. A lot of years after More Songs About Love and Hate gave me mixed emotions, and a lot of years after Unreal World gave me even more mixed emotions. In the years that have passed I have gone long stretches of time not listening to the band, listening to them again and wondering why I hadn't listened to them again sooner, and then long periods of time not listening to them again. They also did a bunch of reunion shows a few years ago, I got excited about them, then I forgot about them. Hell, I even proposed an interview with them for an issue of Sonic, they agreed, then I have no idea what happened.
Now we are graced with a new single. How is it? Well, it is easy enough to click the link below and find out for oneself. The band describes the tune as their tribute to the Ramones. Eh, O.K. I am not a huge Ramones fan (no, I will not apologize), so this didn't get me too excited. The song is fairly straight forward, in the style of the Ramones. The voice is typical Peter Coyne, but it isn't clicking with me quite like the older stuff. That could quite easily change in my mind with a few listens.
A quick search shows me that I have actually missed two other new singles! Foolish me. Those two tunes are “Back Into The Future” and “The Outsider.” On those two songs Peter Coyne actually sounds like he has been influenced even further by the UK Punk scene. His voice has completely lost any charm, and is now pure Punk venom. The band is almost running closer to an Oi sound, or UK '82 sound than they are the Punk meets Pop crossover creature that they were in the 80s. This is not progression, but total regression. I am a little confused on how I feel about these songs. In some regards I like them, but in others I miss the killer melody and beauty they were able to mix with the angst. This is all angst.
This all might sound negative, but I am really not meaning it to sound so. I will no doubt buy this as soon as released. I am sure that it will take me a few times to fully fall in love with, and that is coming from the fact that I will probably be hoping for the slight commercial side that I fell in love with. Yes, I said I loved the commercial side of it all. I liked the fact that they snuck into the radio, and still spit in the face of the general public. The new material will more than likely not be able to connect with the folk who would never listen to a Punk band. Granted, this might be exactly why they have gone this route. They know that they will never break the top 10 now days, so why the hell should they try a commercialized approach to their music? May as well go for broke and put out as much of the piss and vinegar as they can. They got nothing to lose, so they may as well keep their integrity.

http://soundcloud.com/godfathers-1/08-i-cant-sleep-tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment