Thursday, March 14, 2013

Bobby Durango - RIP


So I was supposed to be working on homework this morning, but when I was bouncing around here this morning I found out that Bobby Durango passed away last year. Bobby was the vocalist for Rock City Angels, a band that showed up in the late 80s and should have been huge. Problem is that they showed up at the Hairband time, and got labeled a Hairband, but they were far from it. They played straight up Blues infused RnR.

Back in 2009 RCA showed up again, new line up fronted by Bobby. I had Sonic Ruin going at the time, so I decided to try and get something done with the band. Bobby and I started to go back and forth through emails and we hit it off, possibly better than I ever hit it off with any of the other bands I was interviewing. We spent a long time working on the interviews, and he went out of his way to make sure I got all that I needed. 

During that time I was going through Hell with my job. I knew the poop was hitting the fan, and my mood was going downhill fast. I lost interest in almost everything, and Sonic was one of those things. Sadly, the Durango RCA interview never saw the light of day. I lost touch with Bobby, except we were Facebook friends. Every now and then I would pop him a line, or he would pop me a line, just to say "hi." He told me on numerous occasions that he understood how things fell apart, and he had no bad feelings. I still felt terrible about it, and have gone back numerous times to look over what I had started, and thought about finishing it up.
Now today I see he passed away. It was last June. A long time ago. On his page there are a few "miss ya buddy" type of posts. Only one hidden in another message about how he passed (liver failure). I saw no mention on Yahoo news, nothing on any other sites. No mention anywhere on here. He may not have been an Axl Rose size success during that time, but he was supposed to be the guy that knocked Axl of his throne. Anybody from back then will remember that hype. 

So, instead of homework right now I am digging through that interview we did, finding the emails we exchanged, planning out how to make the issue that was originally intended for him to now being a great tribute to him. If anybody has any old pictures, ads, anything RCA related and is willing to donate it, please send it along. Thanks. Peter Banks is gone, Clive Burr is also gone. This one, though, is the one that really is the punch to the gut. Bobby was one of my guys, from my world.

RIP Bobby.

Yes, by the way, this work will have as little info in it as possible about the former member who went on to massive stardom. That guy gets enough publicity. This is about Bobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment