Saturday, March 26, 2016

Run - Black Crouch (2011)

So how do you feel about roller coasters? How about an roller coaster that does not give you any time to catch your breath, or when you do get those slower moments there is something gnawing at the back of your skull to not trust this roller coaster?
This is kind of what reading Blake Crouch's 2011 book Run is like. It is a book that once it starts it just never really lets up. My copy of it (obviously an ebook, as the picture shows) didn't even have any chapters. I can't remember where I got this version. Back when I got my first Kindle Amazon was giving away a bunch of Blake Crouch books. I might have got it then. But at the same time when I first got my Kindle I fell in with a bad crowd who were trading books. All I do know is that the lack of chapters really kills you when you use those as your "time for bed" cues.
The story involves a family who has gone through some rough times as of late suddenly having to pull together for survival. Something happens in the world where certain groups of people suddenly become intent on killing everybody else. I am not so sure I want to mention what, even though it won't really ruin the story. But basically you either become the hunted or a hunter. The story then becomes a race for the Canadian border, as our family believes there is refuge there. Why? Not so sure, but that is where we are racing for.
The story works, even with a paper thin plot. It is basically a character study and a constant race. We care about the family and hope for the best. Thanks to the pacing of the book we also get worn down when the family gets worn down. There are some hard to believe moments in the book, but we accept them as we accept the whole situation.
My copy of the book does have issues. These are either due to modern day lack of an editor types of errors (oddly worded sentences, poor grammar, that type of thing that is common place in publishing over the past 15+ years), or due to this actually being a "booted" book and poorly transferred to ebook form. I tend to believe this is one of the Crouch Amazon books I got, as it does have the interview in the back of the book.
This was my first introduction to Crouch, aside from the wonderfully wacky multi-author effort Draculas. I will be dipping into his other books fur sure, as this was an enjoyable read. However, beware of one thing. This book completely lacks any form of humor. It is deathly serious and grim from page one, and this does make it a tough read at times. There are no real bright spots or anything to help remove the misery that is everywhere. Yet, oddly enough, it ended exactly how I had hoped it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment